For quite a few years the CCIE certification was strolling in my mind. It was like a magic trick that many had tried, but very few had succeeded on it. It was the last year that i took the decision that i should give it a try now, otherwise i wasn't going to try it never.
There are many reasons for taking that decision at that time, but the 5 most important were:
- I wanted to do it in order to test my skills/knowledge. Just a bet with myself.
- During that time my work schedule was light (quite strange for me).
- There have been quite a few (unofficial) proposals for a much better salary from other employers, even without the CCIE in my hands (possibly due to my networking experience). I guess a CCIE would make them even higher.
- I just wanted to confute one of the excuses of my employer for not giving me the salary i was asking.
- I had tried Dynamips/Dynagen and i was excited about them. I could practice at home using only a PC.